This November, Cancer Research UK have come up with an incredible way of raising money and donating to the cause. Since I love a night in over a night out, this particular event grabbed my attention almost immediately, and I’m here to explain to you a little bit about what it all is and what’s happening.
So next month, (November), CRUK have had the idea of hosting a night in with your friends, ‘The In Thing’, instead of hitting the town and donating the money saved on drinks, taxis and club entry to the charity. Perfect, right? If you head over to the site you will find a basic ‘step by step’ guide to what you’ll need, but I’ve decided to switch things up and do one of my own with a few extra added ideas. Feel free to add your own ideas in the comments below and get raising:
1) Firstly, you should head over to the website (http://support.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/do-your-own-fundraising/the-in-thing) and register online for your party pack including ideas and tips, and there will also be a page created for you so your friends can donate online or by SMS. Genius.
2) Get hold of your closest friends and arrange a time, a place and a date. It’s crucial. When I’m done writing this I’m going to reach for my iPhone and put together a group iMessage and arrange the whole night for mid November. Make sure it’s a night where everyone can make it and not have to worry about prior engagements. You could even carpool and use the taxi/train/petrol money you would have spent and use that for a donation too.
3) Get together a bunch of DVD’s and magazines to keep the entertainment fun. We all have different taste in films, I’m a horror fan myself, so it’s a good idea to double check with your friends what you’ll be watching. Comedy, Romance, Drama… the list is endless, and with things like Netflix and Blockbuster around, you will be spoilt for choice.
4) I couldn’t write about the perfect night in and leave food and drink off the list. It’s absolutely a necessity. You don’t have to go ‘all out’ and buy the best of the best from M&S, you can head over to Farmfoods and cook up a storm for less. Nibbles gets people hyped for the main course, and chocolate and ice cream is the perfect companion for a film. A bottle of wine (or two) is another thing you should add to your list. Unless you’re more of a Vodka fan, that is.
5) Another good idea is the outfit. Are you going to throw a themed get together, or a good old fashioned pyjama party? Personally, I’m going to invite everyone over dressed in their onesies for maximum comfort, and I don’t see any complaints coming my way anytime soon. You could also keep it classy and dress head to toe in your new favourite dress. The choice is up to you. But whatever you do, make sure your friends are 100% up for it, too.
6) If, like me, you get bored a little too easily after two films and a food coma, you could fill your night with other things slotted in regular intervals. If you’re a beauty pro you could all pamper yourselves with nail varnish, dye each others hair for a new look and then post it all on Instagram or Facebook to show everyone your fun night. But if that’s not your ‘thing’ then drinking games can also be a whole lot of fun. There’s so many out there you’ll find it hard to choose.
7) And finally, the last tip is to just ENJOY. Kick back, relax and pat yourself on the back for raising money for an AMAZING cause. During 2012/13, Cancer Research UK raised a breathtaking £460 million pounds thanks to all it’s supporters, and to be a part of that is something to be proud of. Don’t forget to share your photos on the official Facebook page and inspire other people to take part in the cause.
Thank you all for reading, and I hope you have an amazing night if you decide to take part. Don’t forget to post your fun suggestions in the comments below, and head over to the Cancer Research UK website to register your ‘In Thing’ night today.
Write for usHave you ever wanted to write for a newspaper, but need to gain experience? Do you have your own blog?
GET IN TOUCH