12.9 C
Llanelli
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Home Mid Wales News Welsh chefs must wait until Tuesday for Global Chefs Challenge results

Welsh chefs must wait until Tuesday for Global Chefs Challenge results

0
67
Sam in final
Sam Everton puts finishing touches to a dish in the Global Chefs Challenge final on Sunday.

Four Welsh chefs must wait until tomorrow night (Tuesday) to discover if they have won a medal in the Global Chefs Challenge Finals at the 41st biennial Worldchefs Congress & Expo 2026 at ICC Wales, Newport

Will Richards, 33, from Llanharry, an ILS catering tutor at Bridgend College, is competed in the Global Pastry Chefs Challenge final on Saturday, supported by commis chef Mali Leese from Llechwen Hall near Nelson.

Sam Everton, 26, from Llangeler, Llandysul, supported by commis chef, Tyler Richardson from Y Seler, Aberaeron, competed in the Global Chefs Challenge final yesterday. There were 15 chefs other finalists from around the globe.

Ryan Jones, 42, executive chef at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, is competing in the Global Vegan Chefs Challenge final this evening (Monday), supported by commis chef and workmate, Emilie Cote-Lebofsky.

Calum Smith, 25, head chef for Independents by Sodexo at Shrewsbury School, completes the Welsh  finalists when he competes in the Global Young Chef final tomorrow morning.

Sam, a catering lecturer at Coleg Ceredigion who works part-time at Yr Hen Printworks, Cardigan and recently launched his own private dining business, was “really happy” with the dishes he cooked.

“All my dishes went to plan and everything was served on time,” he said. “Overall, I am very pleased with what I put up and I literally could not have done any more. It’s now a matter of fingers crossed for the result tomorrow.

“The standard is amazing and, having watched finalists from other countries today, it’s going to be quite difficult to finish in the top five. It has been an incredible experience and a massive learning curve to watch the chefs from other countries and to see their cuisines.

“The judges didn’t give too much away in their feedback but they liked my organisation and variety of Welsh ingredients used throughout my menu.”

Sam’s first course was an extra large scallop, Hen Gymro grains, Welsh seaweed, Welsh leek and shiso and sanbaizu followed by Sterling halibut with Norwegian king prawns, faux mussel, potato sfogliette, crispy shrimp and prawn head bisque.

His third dish was Van Drie veal loin with pistachio, Welsh truffle and mushroom, sweetbread and Welsh leek pithivier, Roscoff onion stuffed with veal cheek, pea salad, potato with mustard, glazed broccoli with wild garlic and truffled veal sauce.

His dessert was Valrhona chocolate, Dilmah tea and date pudding with tea caramel, strawberry and white chocolate biscuit, Welsh strawberry and shiso sorbet and crystalised chocolate.

Will and Mali competed over a gruelling nine hours in a final that tested their pastry skills and endurance to the limit. Will and They made sugar and chocolate showpieces on a castles and dragons theme, a layered chocolate cake and six portions of plated restaurant style dessert, presented at the end in a buffet display.

They had only a month to prepare for the final when the original chef selected withdrew due to work commitments. “Considering the time we had to prepare, I am reasonably happy and we got everything out on time,” said Will.

“Our showpiece was displayed next to Singapore’s which was incredible. Competing for nine hours was brutal and I’m still stiff now two days after the final. It has given me inspiration for going forward and building skills, new ideas and trying things out.

“I have really enjoyed being involved in Worldchefs competitions and seeing chefs I haven’t spoken to for a couple of years.”

Ryan, from Maesteg, works for Aramark, while Carys was named Springboard Chef of the Year last year. They have three hours to prepare, cook and serve up their dishes.

Calum will be putting his culinary skills to the test against seven rivals and they will have three hours to cook a three-course meal for four people to a challenging brief.

Hosted by World Association of Chefs’ Societies (Worldchefs) in partnership with the Culinary Association of Wales (CAW), the Worldchefs Congress & Expo 2026 is being held in the UK for the first time in its 98-year history.

The event ends tomorrow night when the winners of the Global Chefs Challenge finals will be announced at a gala dinner.  Tomorrow’s Global Young Chef final and Expo are open free of charge. People can either register in advance at https://www.miceconciergeme.com/wce2026/registration/Site/Register or on the day at the desk.

For the full range of paid packages for visitors wishing to attend the Worldchefs Congress visithttps://www.worldchefscongress.org/register/ .


[donate]

Help keep news FREE for our readers

Supporting your local community newspaper/online news outlet is crucial now more than ever.

If you believe in independent journalism,then consider making a valuable contribution by making a one-time or monthly donation.

We operate in rural areas where providing unbiased news can be challenging.

Read More About Supporting The West Wales Chronicle

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here