Carbon Monoxide Detector

* ONE IN THREE renters do not have a life-saving carbon monoxide (CO)
alarm in their home
* FOUR IN FIVE renters felt it was their landlord’s responsibility
to provide a CO alarm in their property
* Government urged to go further to protect tenants from co
poisoning
* Nearly HALF OF RENTERS in LEEDS do not have a CO alarm
* Protect yourself and your family by following the ABC guide – Do
you have an Alarm fitted? Have you tested it and are the Batteries
working? Have you had an up to date gas Check?

New research for the ‘Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed!’ campaign has
revealed that almost a third of renters in the UK do not have a
life-saving CO alarm in their property, with four in five unaware that
it is their responsibility – and not their landlord’s – to provide
one.

Private renters are still at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning nearly
two years after legislation aimed at protecting private tenants came
into effect. Under current regulations, landlords in England and Wales
are only required to provide a CO alarm in properties with a solid
fuel appliance, i.e. coal or wood burning stoves. However, in Scotland
landlords are legally required to provide CO alarms in all properties.

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign – run by Energy UK – is
calling on Government to take action to extend the legislation to
ensure all private tenants are protected.

LAWRENCE SLADE, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF ENERGY UK AND CO BE ALARMED!
SPOKESPERSON, SAID:

“Our research shows private renters are still at risk of carbon
monoxide poisoning with one in three not having a carbon monoxide
alarm fitted at home. That is why we are calling on government to
extend the legislation to protect all private renters including those
with a gas appliance which is over 80 percent of homes

“In the meantime we urge tenants to use our simple ABC checklist – Do
you have an Alarm fitted? Have you tested it and are the Batteries
working? Have you had an up to date gas Check?. This the only way to
protect yourself and your family.”

BARRY SHEERMAN MP SAID:

“As chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Carbon Monoxide,
this is an issue I have championed throughout my parliamentary career
and is something I feel very strongly about. With no smell or visible
presence, the only way to detect the dangerous gas is through the
installation of an audible alarm. Awareness of this easily forgotten
step is vital in saving lives. We’ve made good progress, but we must
continue to work to bring the number of these entirely preventable
deaths down to zero. I value the vital work that the ‘Carbon Monoxide
Be Alarmed!’ campaign is doing to achieve this goal and support the
call for legislation to ensure all private tenants are protected.”

CHRIS NORRIS, HEAD OF POLICY OF THE NATIONAL LANDLORDS ASSOCIATION,
SAID:

“Private landlords have a legal responsibility to provide a CO alarm
if solid fuel burning appliances are installed, but landlords,
tenants, and home-owners need to be aware that the risk of CO
poisoning extents to all types of combustion – including natural gas.
Although the risk is small, CO detectors are not expensive and require
very little maintenance, which is why the NLA recommends landlords
install an alarm in every property with solid fuel, oil, or gas
installations. It is best practice and may save a life”

For more information about how to stay safe, visit
www.co-bealarmed.co.uk [1]


Can YOU Help?

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the West Wales Chronicle than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The West Wales Chronicle’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as £1, you can support the Chronicle – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.